Custom Search

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Bonsai Theme ATC; Belief



ATC Title: Belief
Subject: Bonsai

Ink & Watercolor on
140# (300gsm) Cold Press Bright White
Arches Watercolor Paper

I often paint several washes as a background on my papers. These backgrounds influence color in my work and sometimes become foreground as well.

If I remember right this Arches paper is sized both internally and externally. Sizing helps to hold paint on the surface of the paper rather than being absorbed into the paper which can cause some of the intensity of a color to be lost. Light reflecting up through transparent watercolor from the surface of the paper is what helps to create depth in layers of transparent watercolor as well as creating a sense of brightness in the color.

This image is actually on the reverse side of the watercolor paper. The paper is from a sheet I did for chunky pages which are now at a mid-state of creation. Chunky pages are seen on both sides as a page in a book would be seen so I like to give both sides a background of washes. I like the way paint goes on this side of this paper although I usually prefer the other side for most works. In this case I liked the color scheme on this side of the paper for the Bonsai ATC.

4 comments:

  1. This is another side of your painting - with bolder colors, same zing and pop! I really like it! And, I like that you posted about what sizing is and how it affects what you do with watercolors on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the way you see and describe V.K.

    sizing goes into the paper in the process of making the paper. some papers size only the surface - that has a slightly different look to it too.

    of course watercolor can be used on unsized paper in other ways that can work as well - it depends on how you like to work and how you want your work to look. there are advantages to each.

    in this case zinging and popping is exactly the idea here. cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pssssshhhht! that is you with the zizzleswizzpop!

    I feel a comic coming on about sizing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha - yikes and uh-oh. cool. ting that comic mind on!

    ReplyDelete