Custom Search

Saturday, May 12, 2007

2nd Summer Triptych ATC Set



This Summer Triptych Set was the first set I did. This set works as a unit however the off center placement (which in general I prefer for most works) of the lanai meant the center and right card panels didn’t work as well as I wanted them to work on their own. Because I wanted the cards to also work well individually I did a second set (shown in the previous post of this blog).

The view is looking out toward the sea from the lanai of a beach house. Lanai is a Hawaiian word that loosely means porch or veranda.

Left Panel - 1 of 3: Summer Trees
Center Panel - 2 of 3: Summer Seas
Right Panel - 3 of 3: Summer Drinks

Mixed Media including Ink, Watercolor and Acrylic on 140# (300 gsm) Cold Press Bright White Arches Watercolor Paper





The back side of this Summer Triptych Set has the following written across all three card panels as one piece:

Whisper within the trees Whisper within the night and day
Across the endless skies Across the endless seas
Summer find a way to come back to me Within
The endless breeze Within the endless blossoms
Summer find a way to return endlessly to me

If the space were the right shape I would probably have written it this way:

Whisper within the trees
Whisper within the night and day
Across the endless skies
Across the endless seas
Summer find a way
To come back to me
Within the endless breeze
Within the endless blossoms
Summer find a way
To return endlessly to me

2 comments:

  1. these are soooo beautiful, Wrick. I've never been to Hawai'i but they really say HAWAI'I!! I associate those kinds of summery colors with the islands (maybe mostly because I've seen your watercolors for a year plus now, and haven't known anyone else who lives there? but also...I think you've captured what I've always imagined it to be like too - sweet!). It's definitely not a California summer color palette. I love the rose and gold tones, the mix of earthy and water color palettes. They glow. And, it's definitely not a harsh sunny summer, which is backed up by the word 'whisper'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks V.K. - for a long time i've realized that i am both inspired by and influenced by the world around me where ever i am as well as what i call my inner world. often times both worlds meet in my art in some way. so if you are sensing Hawaii in my work, i like that.

    i like work that involves and engages imagination. it's rare that i really attempt to create exactly what i see visually with my eyes - but i do respond to what i see with my eyes and attempt to evoke a sensing of it in others. to me what you are picking up from these pieces is right on target for what i would like to be happening within people when they look at my work. - that in itself is way cool. i like when art slips into that kind of connection between creator, work and viewer. cool. thank you.

    you are right Hawaii temperatures are never extreme - they are not the hots of northern climates nor the colds (same with southern hemisphere climates that approach the southern pole of the planet). add the trade winds and whispering is the gentle breeze that cools and keeps the islands of Hawaii fresh. thanks.

    ReplyDelete