Custom Search

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rubbing, Stencils & Two Postcards

Rubbing, Stencils & Two Postcards


ROCK BEING
Approximately 3 x 4 Inches
Colored Pencils
Rubbing on Rice Paper

Some time ago I created a number of "Stencils" by drawing on blank plastic stencil sheets and then carefully cutting the designs out with an Exacto blade. Once I was finished cutting the stencils I saved both the negative and positive shapes.

My idea was to use the stencil sheets for rubbings with colored pencils and in various other ways. Many of the designs I drew were from local rock drawings or petroglyphs although some were of other things as well.

The colored pencil "ROCK BEING" rubbing is now part of my letter R Skinny Alphabet Book page.



DOUBLE DOGS
Sketchbook Piece
Approximately 6 x 5 Inches
Acrylic

Recently with my envelope embellishment I wondered if I could use the stencils as stencils. I tried out several in a sketchbook. One of these (DOUBLE DOGS) has now become part of another Skinny Alphabet Book page as a Linear Painting for the letter L with the title; DOGS OF THE DRAGON.



SEEKING DRAGON
Mail Art Postcard 4 x 6 Inches
Acrylic and Ink

I liked the stencil possibilities I explored in the sketchbook so I began playing with the idea on postcards.



SNOW DOG IN SPRING
Mail Art Postcard 4 x 6 Inches
Acrylic and Ink

As I often do I worked each of these postcard images twice (sometimes I do more than 2). With each of these there is a companion piece, which is why I numbered them 1 of 2, the second one being 2 0f 2.

4 comments:

  1. I love all the coincidences....so many...I love that this post is posted at :57, 57 is a personal symbol to me of connections;)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wrick,
    I really like your stencil/rubbing pictures. What a great technique... so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aloha Tracy - thank you. when we look for connections it's amazing how ofter there is something to find, yes. cool. have fun. aloha - Wrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Tonje - thank you. i like those possibilities too! recently i have started making more stencils. originally the idea was for rubbings - but now i'm using them in other ways too. have fun, yes - aloha Wrick

    ReplyDelete